Get 10% discount on first order
Microbiological Specifications Test
Test microbiological quality of your product and ensure it meets the requirements for safe use.
Microbiological Specifications Test
Cosmetic products need to be of an appropriate microbiological quality and free of certain pathogens when they’re produced. Therefore each batch of cosmetic products needs to undergo the microbiological specifications test. Microbiological Specifications Test includes testing of:
- Total aerobic mesophilic bacteria,
- Enumeration of yeast and mold,
- Escherichia Coli,
- Staphylococcus aureus,
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa,
- and Candida albicans.
“I had such a good experience using them for our product testing! Tadej walked me through everything I needed to do and made it very simple. We have the results now and can use them to expand where we sell!”
“Tadej & his team were very knowledgeably in our testing and registration of products for eligible sale internationally. We continue to use them, and we highly recommend using this company for any of your testing needs.”
“That was way easier, cheaper, and more intuitive than expected,.. after ordering our tests, they've arranged a sample pickup and sent us results and documentation over the email. Recommended.”
“Very simple and fast way to test cosmetic products. I was satisfied with the service as everything went smoothly and in the faster time frame possible. I also got offers from some other laboratories and prices at Cosmetic Testing Lab were the most affordable.”
Microbiological Specifications Test is required in the following countries:
Which products do or don’t require it?
Microbiological quality of cosmetic products needs to be monitored for all cosmetic products except:
- Products containing more than 20% alcohol
- Products based on organic solvents
- Products with a pH below 3 or above 10
- Products that are filled in containers at more than 65 degrees Celsius and have a low water
activity (u 0,75 a)
Which legislations require it?
Microbiological Specifications test is required by the legislations of the following countries or groups of countries/regions (the list may not be exhaustive):
- European Union and EEA: consisting of the 27 EU member states as well as Liechtenstein, Norway and Iceland
- United Kingdom
- Gulf Cooperation Council countries: Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Oman
- ASEAN countries: Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia, Brunei, Myanmar, Laos
- South Africa
- New Zealand: it’s a standard to provide the microbiological specifications, but it’s not mandatory
- South Korea: needs to be done by a manufacturing facility in Korea or a lab certified by KFDA
Microbiological specifications of the finished cosmetic product have to include the total count of aerobic mesophilic microorganisms (bacteria plus yeast and mould) and results for most common pathogens.
For products, which are specifically intended for children under three years of age, the eye area or the mucous membranes, the total aerobic mesophilic microorganisms should not exceed 100 CFU per g or ml.
For other cosmetics, the limit is set a bit higher – 1000 CFU per g or ml.
In addition to the total count of bacteria as well as yeast and mould, products have to be tested for the most common pathogens, for example Escherichia Coli, Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Candida albicans.
The absence of these four pathogens in 1 g or 1 ml has to be proven.
The timeline of the microbiological specifications test is three days.
Place an order
Prepare the samples
On checkout you will select a date when our shipping partner will come to pickup the samples